5 Tips For Moving to a New State!


Almost two years ago I decided to move to from Oklahoma City, OK to Dallas, TX! It was honestly one of the best decisions I have made thus far in life.

 Today I am going to be giving 5 tips that helped me prepare with moving to a new state.


TIP #1: HAVE A PLAN
All of these tips are from personal experience, so I hope at least one can help anyone who is deciding on relocating to a new state.
I know it sounds like the obvious, but a lot of people do not have plans when it comes to a big move. Dallas is about a 3 1/2 hours drive away from Oklahoma City, so it is close and far at the same time.

I am somewhat of an organized person, I need to have everything mapped out right in front of me to prepare myself. You have to factor in many things when it comes to moving like the cost of living, job opportunities, and much more. 

I was moving to a new state by myself so I definitely wanted to be as prepared as possible.




TIP #2: RESEARCH & VISIT
Research! Research! Research! I cannot stress this enough. The first thing you want to do is educate yourself on the city, find the area you would like to live in and VISIT!

I recommend visiting more than once. Tour more than just one apartment so you can get a feel for the area and also figure out how long your commute is going to be from your new home to your job. These are all extremely important factors that may turn into an issue if you do not plan accordingly.

TIP #3: GIVE YOURSELF A DEADLINE
I gave myself a 6 month deadline. It doesn't have to be a short deadline line just give yourself enough time to be proactive and not end up putting things off.

Within those 6 months I gave myself tasks of everything I needed to complete each month by the time my deadline was up. Don't wait until the last minute to do things or it will make this way more stressful, I promise. 

You have to find a new place to call home, decide if you are going to sell or buy furniture, rent a moving truck or hire movers. In Texas there are more than 15 electric companies to pick from, which was also overwhelming to me because in Oklahoma city there is literally only one major electric company. I had to figure out if I needed to add the cost of an electric deposit to my budget.

Which leads to my next tip...


TIP #4: SAVE MONEY & BUDGET
Moving can be very expensive, whether you are moving down the street or out of state. You want to make sure you have enough funds for any surprises that might pop up!

There are so many fees and deposits these days it makes me sick. For all my pet owners out there, pet fees and deposits add up too!

LAST BUT NOT LEAST!




TIP #5: HAVE AN OPEN MIND
Move with an open mind! Of course when moving to a new state you want everything to fall into place automatically but that is not reality.

It's going to be a little difficult to find new friends, feel comfortable in your new setting and completely know your way around town. But that is the whole joy of moving to a new area its like a fresh start

There are going to be bumps in the road but once you overcome them you are going to be so glad you did. So many people do not end up moving because they are afraid of change. Don't be that statistic! Anything is possible, all you have to do is try!



Comments